Baby Name of the Month: Briar

Happy day after Valentines Day!  Time for another baby name. How about one inspired by a love story.

Briar-  BrY-er

For girls names I am drawn to very frilly and romantic names.  A lot of ruffles and lace for me. I prefer names with a past, maybe literary or mythology.  Briar has been in stories for as long as people have eaten with forks.  Of course here most famous story is Sleeping Beauty.

She is not actually a very frilly name at all, but her literary past links her to one of the most known girly love stories, so this makes her girly to me. Thanks Brothers Grimm!

Briar itself is actually in the "nature" category of names such as Willow or Lilly. A briar is a thorn bush, but the stories have turned her name into a soft beautiful moniker.  I do tend to like nature names as well, but not as much as hippies did.

The down sides to Briar?  Well the number one is that the end of her name is -er sound.. which rhymes with our last name and sounds terrible.. Actually some of my most favorite names end in -er and will never be used because I fell in love with a man with the last name tray-GRRR.   Oh the sacrifices we make for love =)  Ok to be honest it is no sacrifice at all because I love many many more names, in fact my fave girl name of all time doesnt end in -er.


Post a Comment