Late November Baby Name Of the Month

Sooooo this fall/winter has been unbelievably busy So November and December baby names got left out.  I will do them now!
November's baby name of the month is

Gus

I love the name Gus!  I just love the idea of having a rolly polly toddler going by GusGus, and eventually growing into a grandpa Gus.

Gus is more commonly thought of a nickname, some of the many options of a full name would be August, Augustus, Augustin, Augustine, Angus, Fergus, Gustav Mangus, and Octavious.

The only 2 names I like out of this list are Augustus and Octavious.  Rich says Augustus is too "charlie and the chocolate facotry" for him, and to me Octavious with a nn Gus just doesnt sound right to me. And Im not much of a nickname person anyway... I like just Gus.


As for statistics, Gus was given with pretty high frequency from 1880 to 1900, it hovered between 122 and 199 on the US name charts, so it was pretty common back then. For most of the 20th century, Gus slowly crept towards obscurity, and by 1978, dropped out of the Top 1000 entirely.  Which actually makes him more appealing to me, very recognizable but not used at all.

So whats the drawback?  Not much, I just wonder if people will go  "Gus oh is that short for August?".  Which in the scheme of things is not a huge deal.   Overall I love Gus!


1 comment

JML January 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Gus! Always reminds me of Psych...I LOVE GUS! He's so ridiculous

Post a Comment