Baby Name of the Month

Its that time of the month again.. Baby name of the month!!!

This month we are looking at a boy's name ( have you noticed I have been trying to go girl-boy-girl-boy)

Percy
(Purr-cee)

Percy is representative of two of my name obsessions.  Names starting with the letter P and mythology names.  Let me tell you, there are few names that start with the letter P that I don't love.. I have  relationship with the letter P, its weird, I know.. but there it is. Secondly I love mythology names, because they all have these awesome stories associated with them.. so lets get back to the name Percy

Percy is usually short for Percival or Perseus.  However I like Percy on its own.

Well do you know who Perseus is? He is a popular hero (son of a Zeus and a human) in greek mythology who killed Medusa.  Now how much more manly of a namesake can you have?  A hero and a slayer.

Other places you can find the name Percy are literary references out of two of my favorite series.  Percy can be seen in two characters in the Harry Potter series.  Percy is a Weasley brother. Percival is also one of Albus Dumbledoors middle names.   Second series would be Percy Jackson seires where the name is the main characters first name.. the books are about kid heros who are the kids of greek gods and they save the world.. its fun, kinda like Harry Potter, but with greek mythology.

While this name is a name that grandfathers have in the UK, it is highly unpopular in the US. In fact Percy, Percival and Perseus have never been in the US top 1000 names.  This makes me happy because he would defiantly be the only boy on the block with this name.   I think it is easy to spell and pronounce, but still is not a too out there name cause it is similar to Casey.

The downside to Percy.. Rich doesnt like the name.  So if I were naming a boy all on my own without the help of a husband, this name would probably be my first choice.


Post a Comment