School, Racial difference and the like...

Came across this study about how kids view race and racial differences and thought it was really interesting.  I was not at all surprised by the results.  What they concluded though was that kids that went to racially diverse schools had positive outlooks on race, interracial friendships and relationships.  I wont explain it all.. u can watch it for more insight.

I would like to say that this has been a huge topic of discussion in our household as we approach parenthood.  Rich and I have heavily discussed how we want our kids educated.. and we both overwhelmingly believe that racial diversity in public school setting is what we would like for our child.  We came about this idea by comparing our two educations... I went to under privileged very diverse public schools and he went to private schools that were 98% white.   We are both now getting our PhDs.. so you can obviously be successful from either background.  What we found was that I had a much larger grasp on the world around me than he did.  I have close friends in many different races and religions.. he didnt.  In fact he had is first black friend at the age of 27 ( a co-worker).  We both find this to be jaw dropping and realize that we would like our child be fully cultured and respect people of other race and religions. Frankly we live in America.. and when our child grows up and goes into the world it is not full of rich white people.. it is very diverse.  I feel that if the child is willing and the parents are attentive, you can thrive academically at any school.. no need to pay high prices.. but racial diversity and cultural experiences cannot be bought and are a priceless part of building a child's character.   Off my soap box... watch the video


you can see the first part of the series about how parents mold children's idea of race.. also very interesting.. and not surprising.. here

Post a Comment