Baby Name of the Month: West

Are you ready for baby name of the month?  Well too bad, here it is.

West

So this is in the category of "word" names, which are nouns or verbs that are now being given to children. For example, Blue ( you know Jay-z and Beyonce's new baby) is a word name, but so are Ginger, Olive and Lily.West is a very uncommon name, but a recognizable word... so it feels familiar. West has not been ranked in the US top 1000 names, which I really like.

 West is a one syllable name.I love one syllable names for boys,  I feel like they are very manly and debonair.. like Pierce or Clive.

I feel like West evokes a sense of adventure and exploring, very appropriate for a boy.   Most of history people were sailing west to find new land, so it has a very adventurous boy feel to me. Other things that people associate with West are: modern things such as western medicine, sunsets, cowboys, California. This makes West whimsical and manly to me at the same time.

Because it is so close to Wes/ Wesley, I dont think people will think that it is too out there of a name, but he would definitely be unique.  This is also the drawback of the name, I think the T is quite soft in this name and people will assume he is the more common Wes and not West.  I also think that the T blends too much with our last name that sounds like Tray-grrrr... so say it together and you will understand what I mean  West Traygrrr, sounds like Wes Traygrrr, the T gets lost.  So this is the reason it may not be quite at the top of my list, but I still love the name for all of the other above reasons.

Post a Comment