Nesting... for someone else's baby

I am at that age (27) where all of my friends are having babies.. it seem like everywhere I turn there is a damn pregnant lady.  They glow, they talk about names, they talk about boobs, they talk about how difficult pregnancy is, they have 50 facebook posts a day about it.. they plan for the baby room.  Sometimes it can be just so frustrating to know that it is their time to have a baby and not mine, but frankly I like babies way to much to be too bitter yet.

 So one of my friends is having a boy.  She has decided that her baby room theme is going to be little monsters.  The hitch with this is that most things need to be custom made because this is not a common theme.  So she is painting individual monsters for the room, a lady is making the bedding out of the chosen fabric.. and I of course volunteered to make the hand made mobile.  So this weekend I was working on it.. it is going to have 5 custom monsters with 4 stars and a moon.  Here is the inspiration mobile.


Actually, I thrive on this DIY crap.  I have about 30 projects lined up at any given time.  A friends first baby always needs something special.. so this is what I decided to do.  Hand sewing little monsters is quite the time suck.. but I plopped down in front of some trash TV and got to work.

As the night wore on and I was hand stitching on button eyeballs the thought occurred to me, that this is exactly what nesting is.. taking way too much time to make hand made objects a baby doesnt need just to make the room perfect.  Its really for the mother and not the baby.. to prepare her for the babies arrival.  So there I sat and saturday, preparing for someone elses baby, neglecting my list of chores and having fun watching trash TV.  Some day I will be nesting for myself.. and you better believe I expect some freaking hand made items from every one of my friends. 


Her chosen bedding


Couple of my hand made monsters 




Post a Comment