Baby Name of the Month: Calypso

I totally missed the whole month of June.. so you get two baby names this month!

June's baby name is 
Calypso

There are very few girls names that end in -o.. but I happen to think they are awesome, so this name is awesome... not to mention my favorite letter P is in the middle.

Calypso is most notable the sea nymph from the Odessey that traps Odisseus on her island for 7 years.  She is supposed to be extremely beautiful and blessed with the gift of song. She is usually said to be the daughter of Titan Atlas and a "sea nymph", so she is often depicted as a mermaid.  I just love all of these greek myths and think it would be fun to have a child that had a story to their name.

Another calypso that you might think of is calypso music which hails from the Caribbean. Honestly when I think of calypso in music form it reminds me of one of my fave movies Beetlejuice.  In the dinner scene they dance the calypso to Day-O... and man I love that scene.

Problems with Calypso... well I would think that her name would be shortened to Calli almost immediately, and I hate nick names. I dont mind Calli.. but kinda feel like if I wanted her called Calli, then thats what I would name her.   I also don't think Calli has my heart because doesn't carry the p or the o which I love.

 Over all I love Calypso for her whimsical mythology and wonderful sound, but dont like the nick name options.




Post a Comment