Baby Name of the Month: Piper

August's Baby name of the month is

Piper  

I would say that the number one reason I love Piper is her two P's. I dont know why I love P in names.. but I have this very romantic relationship with P... haha

Second Piper is definatly nickname proof.. of course no name is totally nn proof cause you could always call her P or something.. but its as close as you can get to a nn proof name.

Piper was always an obscure name and never cracked the US top 1000 names until 1999, the year after Charmed debuted  and Piper Halliwell was one of the star trio.  Since then she has risen from being ranked at 701 in 1999 to number 110 in 2011.  This is a HUGE jump in the last 12 years going from nonexistant to almost in the top 100.. that is a negative for me.  I wish she were firmly in the 300-500's, but everyone else seems to agree that she is an awesome name.

Another downside to Piper is her -er ending.. it just sounds funny with our last name I think.. which also ends in -er.  I also dont think she fits in with some of our other fave girl names.. which are more whimsical and romantic.

Other fun things about Piper are
-She is a main character in Rich's and my favorite series Heroe's of Olympus
-She has a musical background
-Piper nigrum is black pepper, so she is a spicy name

Over all I love her spice and spunkiness, but think that her popularity and -er ending are major drawbacks.


1 comment

JML October 4, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I would definitely call her Pi

Post a Comment